Project

General

Profile

Bug #7446

ttf-dejavu broken?

Added by The Ant A ​ about 2 years ago. Updated 10 months ago.

Status:
Closed
Priority:
Normal
Assignee:
-
Category:
-
Target version:
Start date:
06/16/2017
Due date:
% Done:

100%

Estimated time:
Affected versions:
Security IDs:

Description

After upgrading a few packages, font on firefox looks much worse.
Possible packages that caused it:

Upgrading font-alias (1.0.1-r1 -> 1.0.3-r0)
Upgrading mkfontscale (1.0.7-r2 -> 1.1.2-r0)
Upgrading mkfontdir (1.0.5-r1 -> 1.0.7-r0)
Upgrading ttf-dejavu (2.35-r0 -> 2.37-r0)

I think it maybe has to do with this -

https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/32312

But could also be something else…

Associated revisions

Revision 9d75d6a8 (diff)
Added by Francesco Colista about 2 years ago

main/font-alias: modernize APKBUILD, fixes #7446

History

#1 Updated by The Ant A ​ about 2 years ago

Here's the comparison.




Alpine 3.6 -



​​



Alpine edge -

#3 Updated by The Ant A ​ about 2 years ago

I did more investigation and discovered the packages that are problematic.

Interaction of freetype AND font-alias.

If you're on edge and downgrade freetype OR font-alias, you solve the issue.

In the same way, if you are on 3.6.2 and upgrade freetype AND font-alias to edge, you get this font issue.

#4 Updated by The Ant A ​ about 2 years ago

I think I found the issue!

Clandmeter added the patches but didn't bump pkgrel so freetype didn't get rebuilt.

https://git.alpinelinux.org/cgit/aports/commit/main/freetype?id=4bda58b168222edded7a3af3ddb4c518f7b7f680

Someone please bump pkgrel!

#5 Updated by The Ant A ​ about 2 years ago

Another possible issue!

http://build.alpinelinux.org/buildlogs/build-edge-x86_64/main/font-alias/font-alias-1.0.3-r0.log

configure: WARNING: unrecognized options: --with-font-rootdir

That was changed by ncopa on latest font-alias update.

https://git.alpinelinux.org/cgit/aports/commit/main/font-alias?id=adda002486cccfe508b6c000870e21617bd54eab

The correct option is --with-fontrootdir.

#6 Updated by The Ant A ​ about 2 years ago

Full solution

Fix font-alias option. --with-fontrootdir is the correct one.
Add util-macros to font-alias makedepends.

This fixes the problem!

#7 Updated by Anonymous about 2 years ago

  • Status changed from New to Resolved
  • % Done changed from 0 to 100

#8 Updated by The Ant A ​ about 2 years ago

Crap, this didn't solve the issue :(
I'm lost now.

Can someone reproduce?
Access https://twitter.com/alpinelinux on 3.6.2
Access https://twitter.com/alpinelinux on edge

On edge the font is so much worse...
But on many sites it's better, twitter and a few others look awful like that.

#9 Updated by The Ant A ​ almost 2 years ago

I found the problem.
fc-list gives different results in 3.6 and edge!
The font names changed but Alpine didn't update to that.

That's because freetype 2.7.1 had a PCF change to show more `colourful' family names and that behavior was disabled on freetype 2.8

How do we fix this?

#10 Updated by The Ant A ​ almost 2 years ago

In freetype 2.7.1 it was Adobe Utopia but in freetype 2.8 it is Utopia
In freetype 2.7.1 it was Adobe Courier but in freetype 2.8 it is Courier
In freetype 2.7.1 it was Adobe Helvetica but in freetype 2.8 it is Helvetica
In freetype 2.7.1 it was Misc Fixed but in freetype 2.8 it is Fixed
In freetype 2.7.1 it was xos4 Terminus but in freetype 2.8 it is Terminus

And many more.

PCF_CONFIG_OPTION_LONG_FAMILY_NAMES was enabled for the first time on freetype 2.7.1.
But they later thought it was too radical and disabled on 2.8.

Alpine must enable PCF_CONFIG_OPTION_LONG_FAMILY_NAMES at compile time or fix the current system to recognize short font names.

#12 Updated by The Ant A ​ almost 2 years ago

Upgrading to freetype 2.8-1 (with 0004-Enable-long-PCF-family-names.patch) didn't work.
fc-list keeps showing short names.

But then I did apk fix font-alias and now it's fixed!

I don't know if it's because of font-alias itself or because font-alias triggered some stuff...
(1/1) Reinstalling font-alias (1.0.3-r1)
Executing fontconfig-2.12.4-r0.trigger
Executing mkfontscale-1.1.2-r0.trigger
Executing mkfontdir-1.0.7-r0.trigger

This should be automated so when people upgrade they get it fixed.

Thanks for the fast commit.

#13 Updated by Natanael Copa 10 months ago

  • Status changed from Resolved to Closed

Also available in: Atom PDF